Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Interesting English Words

We have had guests for the past 10 weeks with a few days off in between to change & wash bedding & stock up on food.

Needless to say my English accent has strengthened significantly & some of my old words are back in use. Here are a few of my faves:

1. A tosser: a person who has annoyed you & you do not want to swear in front of your kids!

2. Brilliant...I'm not sure why I have stopped using that word...no I do not use awesome yet!

3. Gym Bunny: a lady who spends lots of time at the gym & is generally high maintenance.

4. Knackered: meaning tired yet not used in NH so people just smile when you use it as they are unsure of what you have said. It gives you a smug feeling...naughty Daffodilly!

5. "Ow do?" slang for how are you.

6. Chaffer: someone who has no standards....not me!

I'm sure some more will come into my tiny memory...so watch this space!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not using "awesome" yet? Then you, my dear, have not fully come into the fold. ;-)
Good for you! That's brilliant.

Daffodilly said...

I occasionally slip up as my kids way overuse this one!